Sunday, July 27, 2014

2 Months down in London town!

Hey there all you lovely people…

SO turns out that I have been INCREDIBLY slack whilst writing my travel blogs of late…whilst I have started them, I have not finished them which is horrible. I could tell you that I have been exceptionally busy trying to set up a life here in London and travelling (yep, because I am now in London and have been living here for just over two months). So, those that I have missed I will come back to…so whilst you may see some blank posts below, that is why – rather than putting off my newer ones, I thought I would update you on the current then play catch up.


SO – London life!! 
After arriving in London on the 19th of May 2014, I have already seen and learnt and done a bundle. Firstly trying to find somewhere to live, secondly trying to find a job, and thirdly trying to enjoy my time here.


In the past 2 months I have had 3 different jobs (hello temp life!) and all have been vastly different. I have worked in hospitality for 5 star hotels all around London (hectic hours, minimal pay), I have been a teachers’ assistant in schools working one on one with kids with behavioural issues (I always seem to fall back into this) and I have also been working reception/admin for student accommodation.

There have been days with no sleep with all the work, and days where all I do is sit on the computer and search for jobs so I can pay rent. Which brings me to the next thing; London is expensive to live in! Rent is high for a small house with no living room, dining room or back yard, and sharing with 6 other people (including sharing a room). Transport is also expensive when you fork out for a weekly oyster card, so at some points I am going around with £3 in my account for 5 days until the next pay day. Definitely not what I had envisioned when I dreamed up coming to live in London…which of course means that I have had no money for travelling.

Now that might sound like a party poopers attitude, BUT it is amazing the things you can find to do in London for free. Firstly most the tourist sights are free, you just need to hoof it around the city (or catch the delightfully sweltering tube…) and there is so much just to experience.

London is full of amazing markets that you just need to be in, although save some money for awesomely delicious food J that is a must! Brick lane markets are awesome, as are the Camden markets, and yet there are still hundreds more that I have yet to explore!! 

You can also spend hours just lying in one of the many amazing parks watching squirrels play in the trees (SQUIRRELS!!!) with a cider and a good book just hanging out.

I have discovered an awesome little book store on the canals near Paddington station. It is a second hand book store on a boat!! AMAZING!! Coincidentally this was located on my journey between my school job and my admin job…just stopping in for a cheeky look aroundJ. 

I got to see Arcade Fire play at Hyde Park, managing to score free wrist bands to get us closer to the stage with ridiculous amounts of room to dance like a spaz with great friends. I also learnt a new game that night of “catch” using a coconut…. which also turned into “piggy in the middle” with a security guard playing the piggy…


I have also gone to Holi fest in the pouring rain, throwing colourful powder in the air whilst dancing in a mosh pit as the rain turned the powder to paint. There are also free movies in the park during the summer time (MEAN GIRLS!).

Summer here is different to what I am used to in Melbourne. Here the summer is sticky with humidity made even more sticky when you are on the tube sardined with many other sweaty locals. I felt like I have been back in the Philippines on days like these.

A tradition between our housemates has also been Sunday roast night at our local pub. I am not sure how this started but it has been 6 weeks now in a row where we have ended up there. Gotta say, it is not a bad tradition to have (even for a vegetarian…om nom nom vegetarian roast).


Ohhhh London, you drain my bank account massively, but I do enjoy your company :)


























Love always, B xo

No comments:

Post a Comment